Thursday, January 1, 2009

Kierkegaard On Stillness

It is difficult for a camel to go through the eye of a needle and difficult for the man of the world to find stillness; whether he is powerful or insignificant, it is difficult to find stillness in life's noise … But you, my listener, if you fear this stillness, even though you are doing your best to have a conscience (without stillness conscience does not exist at all) and to have a good conscience, then keep on, then endure it; this stillness is not … the sickness unto death … it is the transition to life.

2 comments:

jess said...

hm. i think i am afraid of the stillness.

Bryan H. Kim said...

Snippets:

I think as leaders, or modern men for that matter, appreciate and sometimes lust after activity because it gets us moving and on the path toward progress and product. We want to present something rather than make something or be made into someone.

I often wonder if God is waiting somewhere for me to just come and sit next to him and be still. Stillness takes so much trust and exposes our level of confidence and sense of self.

I try now to cater to this "pull" to sit and be still, mainly due to the fact that I often find the Holy Spirit just around the corner waiting to take me into the terrain of solitude/silence.

Maybe the lust for activity is a lust for clarity. And clarity often quenches our thirst for control and a risk-free-cushioned life.

"Be still and know that I am God" - is there any way to know God without being still?